Sunday, January 31, 2016

Evaluation of General Sources

As I searched for sources for my Controversy Postmortem project, the main websites I came across were news sites. The first one that I clicked on, veterinarynews.dvm360.com, had plenty of stories and studies on Veterinary Physicians. Here is the one on the story that I am focusing on. The other site that I am using as one of my main sources is Huffington Post, and here is the article.

As these sites are both dedicated to general news and entertainment, they both end in ".com", showing that they are for commercial use. While most internet news sites are not usually considered to be the most credible form of obtaining information, The Huffington Post has made a name for itself.

skeeze, "Veterinarian", 06/05/2011 via Pixabay, Public Domain

The author for the DVM360 article is only identified as dvm360 Staff, so I was unable to find any information on the other pieces or companies that he/she wrote for. The article was written and published on October 5, 2015. The author of the second article is Arin Greenwood, the Animal Welfare Editor at Huffington Post. She is a former lawyer who got her Law Degree from Columbia University in New York City. The article that I viewed on the Huffington Post was published on October 1, 2015.

Both stories were very similar, and had a lot of the same information. They did a great job of relaying all of the information about the case of Kristen Lindsey. Neither story, however, was unbiased. Both clearly were in support of taking away Lindey's veterinary license.

No comments:

Post a Comment